Groovy Granola Bars
Source: Batter Up Kids
Makes: 24 servings
4 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup all-purpose flour (or 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup butter (not margarine) softened
3/4 cup honey
1 cup dried raisins, cranberries, blueberries, or apples
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, almonds, or other nuts
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the dried fruit and nuts. Mix well with an electric mixer until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Get your muscles ready. This stuff is thick! Stir in the fruit and nuts until they are mixed into the oatmeal dough. Scoop out dough and press into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Lift foil on the sides to remove the entire batch from the pan.
- Cut into bars and cool another 10 minutes before removing cut bars from foil. Store in an air-tight container or individually wrap each one in plastic wrap so they’re ready to go when you are!
Eat plain with a glass of soy or reduced fat milk or fresh juice or for a festive snack or for dessert serve with frozen yogurt topped with fresh fruits. G-R-O-O-V-Y!
Nutrition information (serving size: 1 Bar):
Saturated fat: 2.8g