Black Bean Burgers
[b]Difficulty:[/b] Medium[br][b]Prep Time:[/b] 30 minutes[br][b]Makes: [/b] 6 servings
- 15-ounce can of black beans, drained
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup frozen spinach
- ¼ cup salsa
- ½ cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Approximately ½ cup bread crumbs
- whole wheat pita pockets
- Using clean hands, mash beans in large mixing bowl.
- Add onion, corn, spinach, salsa, cheese and cumin.
- Mix in bread crumbs gradually until mixture is firm enough to form patties. Form mixture into about 12 small patties.
- Cook in non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side; bake in 375º oven for 15 minutes, turning once. Alternately, patties can be grilled for 3 minutes per side.
- Serve in whole wheat pita pockets.